no Retards on the Campus
That's Kariza Gregoria on the photo having fun with Judea and other fellow Asian students of Scripps Ranch High School. Photo must have been taken during her junior year in high school when KG's group was still considered as retards on the campus (ROTC).
Nights of chattering teenagers, mostly Asians, are in the past and I am being tempted to brag to the whole world that KG is a USAF scholar at SDSU. The most I could do is to blog about it. No blagging.
I congratulated RN for the motivation and the parental support he gave to KG. Brimming with pride and spared of the horrendous expenses in the next four years, RN just bought her an HP laptop. See I am blagging now..LOL.
It was easier blogging about her misfits, though. I just digged out a sticky note I wrote while on our way to Colorado.
1st leg.
by Glo Navarro on Thursday, 23 June 2011 at 07:55
It's the 3rd day of summer and on the 1st leg of the 880 miles road trip to Colorado. Karlee forgot her glasses and we had to turn around from Costco Poway gas station to retrieve her glasses which she forgot.
"Good job, Karlee, what else did you forget?" KG snaps. The G stood for Godzilla when Karlee forgot to wake her up so she could go to her very last high school chorale performance which promised her an A. She still made it with *#@ after her name in her graduation list. The school did not mark her as a cussing student. The footnote indicated those marks for academic distinction, honor roll and something I couldn't remember. Maybe it was for best in throwing fits.
"Why not a scholarship from ROTC," I could only ask myself aloud.
I was very much tempted to go to the backyard to hose my plants for the last time.
Foggy at the top of the hill at Scripps Poway Parkway just before hitting Route 67.
I've been on this route before when I was coming from my class at Santee. I mentioned my plan to Marcela, a classmate and she said she'd follow me because she was going to DMV Poway.
"I am your typical Woman Asian driver," I warned Marcela.
There is this notion that women and Asians are notorious drivers.
The last time I was followed, I turned to a dead end Zenaida, the classmate who was following was driving a Silverado had a very difficult time turning around. 97 miles to El Centro. Why would El Centro be the center when it is almost at the California-Arizona-Mexico border.
I-8 is a scenic drive. About 8 months ago, I took this route to visit my Abyan. Abyan by the way means friend in Hiligaynon, a Philippine regional dialect.
"What does lipton mean in Iloggo?"
"Lipton..tea?"
"Lipton!Hmmm..."
Back to Interstate 8 as I sip my homemade coffee from a Bruegger's mug. A dead animal, looks like a cayote. I am glad it's not a skunk. Laguna Mountain. Buckman Springs.
"Kind of an intersting terrain here," RN quips.Not quite dessert, not quite manicured lanscape.
.
Like · · Share · Delete
Comments