The Covered Bridges at Eagle Point, Oregon
Covered bridges are relics of the past. I don't know why I became fascinated with covered bridges the first time I saw a photo of one on Susan Gundran's Facebook. Susan is based in New Jersey and she must have been visiting an Amish showcase village in Philadelphia with her family.
Just like the photo of a covered bridge on Susan's facebook, the Antelope Creek Bridge that was built in 1922 is brimming with history. The bridge makes me think of Amish people and their horses and buggies. The bridges strike as European in influence. The covered bridge is right on Main Street of Eagle Point, Oregon.
Seeing one covered bridge in a day would have been enough. Driving on Oregon state route 140 however, I spotted a sign that points to a historic site. We were still in Eagle Point and passing through cattle pastures.
The historic marker led us to the Lost Creek covered bridge. Originally built in 1881, the Lost Creek covered bridge is the oldest covered bridge in Oregon and the shortest with an approximate length of 39 feet.





Comments