Half and half blogger
The British barista at Starbucks London at west end couldn't figure out what I wanted.
"Didn't you order black coffee?"
"Yes, cafe americano with room for cream"
She was beginning to look exasperated. First I asked for half and half and now, room for cream.
"Is that something used for coffee in a foreign country?" an Indian-looking staff wearing a tie comes to the rescue.
"Yes, it is half cream and half milk," I replied.
The Indian-looking Starbucks staff seemed to understand my English but he didn't say anything. He didn't say that half and half is not available nor tell me there's no room for cream.
I regret ever asking.
Never mind.
Cancel.
Forget about it.
I couldn't decide what to say. I remember co-workers from India when I was working in Saudi Arabia. They took pride in speaking English the way their British colonizers spoke the language. Instead of using "Dear Sir" to start their letters, they wroted "Respected Sir". Letters are concluded by expressing their gratitude and writing "thanking you".
"Thanks a lot!" I said to no one in particular.
I joined my aunt who had drunk half of her cappuccino after thanking the Caucasian barista and the tie-wearing Indian-looking staff.

I was savoring the moment. I went to Starbucks to use their free Wifi and blog my heart out. Oh yeah, check in a location at Facebook. And type in a status: Eat your heart out, I am at Hyde Park, London's version of Central Park. Post some photo with the caption: Taken at Making-out grounds, a grassy area at Hyde Park. There's no room at the Inn.
But the Starbucks in London is not the same as the Starbucks in the States. No Wifi in London cafes. Everyone carries their own wifi in their pockets. There are hotspots but you have to have a password to your network to go online anywhere. In the States, you find cultural diversity at Starbucks lounge areas.
In London, cultural diversity is at Trafalgal Square.

"Didn't you order black coffee?"
"Yes, cafe americano with room for cream"
She was beginning to look exasperated. First I asked for half and half and now, room for cream.
"Is that something used for coffee in a foreign country?" an Indian-looking staff wearing a tie comes to the rescue.
"Yes, it is half cream and half milk," I replied.
The Indian-looking Starbucks staff seemed to understand my English but he didn't say anything. He didn't say that half and half is not available nor tell me there's no room for cream.
I regret ever asking.
Never mind.
Cancel.
Forget about it.
I couldn't decide what to say. I remember co-workers from India when I was working in Saudi Arabia. They took pride in speaking English the way their British colonizers spoke the language. Instead of using "Dear Sir" to start their letters, they wroted "Respected Sir". Letters are concluded by expressing their gratitude and writing "thanking you".
"Thanks a lot!" I said to no one in particular.
I joined my aunt who had drunk half of her cappuccino after thanking the Caucasian barista and the tie-wearing Indian-looking staff.

I was savoring the moment. I went to Starbucks to use their free Wifi and blog my heart out. Oh yeah, check in a location at Facebook. And type in a status: Eat your heart out, I am at Hyde Park, London's version of Central Park. Post some photo with the caption: Taken at Making-out grounds, a grassy area at Hyde Park. There's no room at the Inn.
But the Starbucks in London is not the same as the Starbucks in the States. No Wifi in London cafes. Everyone carries their own wifi in their pockets. There are hotspots but you have to have a password to your network to go online anywhere. In the States, you find cultural diversity at Starbucks lounge areas.
In London, cultural diversity is at Trafalgal Square.

Comments